What would you say if we told you that there was a untapped resource at your nonprofit’s fingertips that could have the potential to double your average donation amount? Sounds too good to be true, right? Not so – it actually exists! (And, by the way, it’s free.)
“Matching Gifts” is a phrase covering corporate programs where employers match employee donations, usually dollar-for-dollar. Many charities and nonprofits know about matching gifts, but the fundraising potential of these programs often goes overlooked by nonprofits.
The big impact of matching gifts
According to the latest Giving in Numbers Survey by the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy, 9 out of 10 companies offer an employee matching program.
Additionally, research proves that when nonprofit organizations ask about matching gifts on their donation pages, the result is a 71% increase in response and a 51% increase in the average donation amount!
These stats are impressive, but even more incredible is how many billions of dollars could be left on the table because nonprofits aren’t mentioning matching gifts in their campaign appeals.
Making it work for your nonprofit
Now that the earning potential of matching gifts is on your nonprofit’s radar, it’s time to learn how to make it work for you. Here are a few tips to help you take advantage of matching gift programs and earn more money for your cause!
- Create fundraising appeals that reference matching gifts. Employees often forget it’s even an option, so just the mere mention might be all it takes to trigger a response.
- Follow up with donors who have indicated they work for an employee with a matching gifts program. Some donors might need a gentle reminder after your first mention of corporate gift matching.
- Build relationships with companies that offer corporate matching and have CSR efforts that align with your mission. Establishing philanthropic partnerships with engaged businesses will increase your earning potential.
- Go beyond a mention and provide opportunity. Make it simple for constituents to double their gifts with online forms that allow them to easily discover if their employee participates in matching gift programs.
- ALWAYS include a matching gift option in peer-to-peer or “crowdfunding” campaigns. This is a fantastic way to expand the impact of those one-time pledges from new donors.
Ready to get started?
Some fundraising platforms claim to have integration with a corporate gift matching database. In reality, charities and nonprofit organizations are required to purchase their own license key and add their unique credentials to the system before they can get started. The process is both expensive and cumbersome.
Both FirstGiving and Artez peer-to-peer fundraising platforms are integrated with the HEPData corporate gift matching database. HEPData is the largest, most trusted, and most widely used database of over 20,000 corporate matching gift programs, employer-specific forms, and policies.
Best of all, this database is available at no additional cost to FrontStream clients!
How does it work?
FrontStream’s peer-to-peer fundraising pages and online donation forms now include a “Matching Gift” section that allows donors to search the name of their employer. If an employer is found, a donor can then click on the employer’s name to see detailed instructions about matching gift eligibility and the steps required for the charity to receive the matching gift.
This fast and easy process occurs on the charity’s own branded donation form just before a donor submits their payment details.
FrontStream clients have access to full donation reporting that includes information about a corporate gift match, making it simple to communicate with donors.